The old part of the town, Calais proper (known as Calais-Nord), is situated on an artificial island >surrounded by canals and harbours. The modern part of the town, St-Pierre, lies to the south and southeast. In the centre of the old town is the Place d'Armes, in which stands the former Hôtel-de-ville, now the town hall and police offices. The belfry belongs to the 16th and early 17th century. Close by is the Tour du Guet, or watch-tower, a structure dated to the 13th century which was used as a lighthouse until 1848 when a new lighthouse was built by the port. The church of Notre-Dame, was built during the English occupancy of Calais. Calais is also a notable fishing port and a centre for fish marketing and lace industry for which the town is also famed.
T.S. Maid of Kent II, an example of a ferry providing service between Dover and Calais
Simplon-Orient-Express and Train Bleu, southbound to Paris, 1934